New Expressions in Origami Book Signing!
Saturday, August 19, 2017 - 4pm ~ 7pm
Join us as we welcome Robert J. Lang, Goran Konjevod and our own Linda Mihara to The Paper Tree!
4-5pm: Meet and Greet, Book Signing
5-6pm: Lectures by the Artists
6-7pm: More Book Signing
Please call (415) 921-7100 or register online to reserve your lecture seat
Past EVENTS in 2016:
Northern California Cherry Blossom Festival: Origami Exhibit and Demo - Saturday April 9,16 and Sunday April 10,17
Try your hand at origami! Come to our origami exhibit + demo and learn this ancient art from one of our skilled origami volunteers.
Free! 11am-5pm all days of the festival!
Japanese American Citizens League Headquarters
1765 Sutter St. (Half a block from our store)
PAST EVENTS in 2015:
Next Event! Sunday March 8, 2015
Come and meet Faye Goldman, author of GEOMETRIC ORIGAMI.
We are excited to welcome Faye Goldman to Paper Tree. Come by and discover SNAPOLOGY - a form of modular origami using strips of paper or ribbon. Heinz Strobl, the creator of Snapology has labeled Faye the "Ambassador of Snaplogy" and she has taught her technics all around the world at origami conferences. In 2014 her "Blue Torus" won honorable mention ath the 2014 Mathematical Art Exhibition.
Booksigning - 1:00pm and 3:00pm
Snapology Class with Faye Goldman
Sunday March 8, 2015. 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm. $20 includes materials.
Limited space available, please call 415-921-7100 to make reservations.
PAST EVENTS in 2014:
Assia and David Brill
Celebrating Assia's new book
CURLIQUES - KINETIC ORIGAMI
FRIDAY AUGUST 8, 2014
4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Join us as we welcome Assia and David Brill to Paper Tree. Introducing a new type of moving or kinetic origami. You can rotate the Curlique's stacked layers to reveal fascinating, constantly changing patterns of radiating stars and zigzag spirals.
We have a shipment of Curliques by Assia Brill. Books purchased will include some pre-cut papers so you can begin folding right away, so come and enjoy light refreshments and the chance to meet Assia and David.
Born in Kazan, Russia, Assia studied with Sergei Afonkin (St Petersburg) by correspondence course for 5 years, receiving a teaching certificate, then an origami master diploma. With an engineering background and love of handicrafts, she took to origami quickly and easily. She believes "The origami universe reflects the entire universe!
Assia taught origami to adults and children in Kazan for 10 years as supplementary education teacher in schools, receiving an award for her origami program from the Ministry of Education in 1994. In 1998 she self-published her first book Origami: hand made articles from paper.
Based in Pforzheim Germany from late 2000, she continued her origami work as a creator and as a teacher at adult education institutes. She joined Origami Deutschland and attended their conventions, as well as other origami meetings in Europe. In 2008 she moved to England and married Dave Brill in 2009. Together they attend origami events around the world.
David Brill was introduced to origami nearly 60 years ago, when he learned the traditional flapping bird as a 5 year old. He joined the British Origami Society in 1974, and met many other enthusiasts who encouraged him to develop his own designs. David was British Origami Society Chairman from 1995 to 2004. His book Brilliant Origami was published in 1996 and sold more than 25,000 copies before going out of print 10 years later.
Click here for flyer.
Origami in the Bay Area:
- Bay Area Rapid Folders, 1st Saturday every month at the Bernal Heights Library. Open to everyone interested in learning about origami and is free. Membership is encouranged if you enjoy the meetings and wish to support the group. Bring your own paper.
- Cal Origami. Origami club at UC Berkeley. They host an annual convention in the Fall. Please visit their site for more infomation.
- Infinite Possibilities of Origami at the Bellevue Art Museum, Bellevue Washington
- Paper Tree - Japantown San Francisco. THE Origami Store! Hundreds of varieties of origami paper, hundreds of beautiful sheets of Japanese, Thai, and Italian papers. Constantly changing exhibition of stellar origami is always on display.
- PaperFestival.com - our sister site with a full line of artisan paper, Toyo origami paper, and decorative skeleton leaves. Free diagram to fold a classic origami box!
- Pacific Coast OrigamiUSA Conference. Boulder Colorado, 2015
- East Bay Origami Conference - UC Berkeley campus. Fall 2014