Pacific Coast OrigamiUSA Convention 2019
September 12–15, Portland, Oregon, USA
Join your fellow folders in the beautiful Northwest for PCOC 2019 with Special Guests:
Left to right: Toshikazu Kawasaki, João Charrua, Origami Always Succeed (OAS) Group: Joel Garcia Moix, Enrique Martinez, Marc Vigo, and Oriol Esteve.
Highlights: What to Expect
- Over 250 attendees.
- Nearly 100 classes, from beginner to super complex.
- World-class origami exhibit (free to public: Sat/Sun 11am-4pm).
- Silent auction (rare finds and more).
- Meet and fold with well-known and aspiring origami designers.
- Enjoy the company of fellow folders in a banquet hall-sized community folding room.
- Finish up with a post-convention tour of Portland and beyond.
- Sales tax-free shopping!
There are lots of links on this site for you to learn from. Here’s a quick overview of the most important.
Registration will open up about two months before the convention. Prior to July 29, the registration pages will show a mix of old and new PCOC information but it’s still helpful in case you wish to read in advance.
- July 29 — Registration opens. The earlier you register, the better chances you will have at getting your preferred classes when class requests open up. The popular classes WILL sell out before the convention.
- August 23 am — Sign-up to teach ends.
- August 24 — 20% late fee applies.
- Aug. 26 — Select/request your classes.
- Sept. 2 — Online registration and class selection closes.
We have a PCOC Value package that includes 2 days of classes, Friday reception, Saturday banquet, a T-shirt, diagram book, and a survival kit for a bargain of $195! Pricing details are here.
The convention will be held at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland where the price ranges from $159-189 after applying our discount code. Learn more about hotel booking and finding a roommate.
Via air or land, here's how to get to Portland, Oregon. If you fly Delta, there's a chance you could get a discount.
Within Portland (and from the airport), getting around is fairly easy without a car. Portland MAX Light Rail System has a direct line to the DoubleTree for $2.50 and takes about 20-30 minutes from the airport.
For those that pre-registered for Thursday evening, there will be a Wine and Cheese Reception, which will be a great time to meet and greet old and new folding friends as well as the Special Guests.
The convention starts at 8:00 am at the registration table in the foyer. Pick-up your t-shirt, bag, and Friday class information before classes begin at 10:00 am.
Classes on this day present a slight change in format where the emphasis shifts away from models. There might be classes on wet-folding, tissue-foil, decorating paper, photography, mobile making, how-to teach, diagramming, and panel discussions (covering such things as real life applications of origami, designing models, or marketing your origami).
There will be an evening Welcome Reception where you can fold, socialize and enjoy some heavy hors d’oeuvres.
Register for Saturday classes or request changes: 8:30 am-10:00 am
This is the first day of regular folding classes.
9:30am - Opening announcements and formal introductions of our special guests.
The day will conclude with a banquet.
Register for Sunday classes or request changes: 8:30 am-10:00 am
More folding classes.
Finish your convention experience with a post-PCOC Tour (optional, must pre-register). This will be a great way to see Portland and spend one last day with folding friends.
- Linda Mihara